Membership... what's in it for me?
Congratulations on making the choice to become a member of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association - Nova Scotia. The CHBA-NS is the representative voice of the residential construction industry in Nova Scotia. By becoming a member, you will be adding your voice to a group of over 300 member companies whose mission is to provide professionalism in all aspects of the industry and provide quality, affordable housing choices to Nova Scotians.
Top 10 Reasons for Membership...
As a member of the CHBA NS, you can build a solid network or business contacts and potentially increase your client base by interacting with the diverse group of professionals at members’ meetings, committee meetings and special events.
2. One Voice
Representing more than 250 members province wide, the NSHBA serves and an advocate for the industry when issues arise that pertain to residential construction. By lobbying government ministers, representatives and municipal councillors, the CHBA NS can ensure the industry’s messages are effectively communicated.
The CHBA NS sets the standard for professionalism in the industry by offering voluntary Certified Residential Builder & Certified Residential Renovator programs. Participating members raise the bar for others in the industry while demonstrating their commitment to promoting professionalism and certification in the province.
4. Training & Education
The CHBA NS offers training courses on regular bases. Working closely with the Atlantic Home Building & Renovation Sector Council (AHBRSC), the Construction Safety Association Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) and the Department of Labour and Education the CHBA NS is able to provide the members safety and business development courses to obtain the designation of Residential Construction Safety Professional and grow their businesses.
5. Marketing & Advertising
CHBA NS members receive many opportunities to showcase their companies, products and services through effective marketing tools including the NSHBA website, product demonstrations at member meetings, the annual membership directory and special publications. Members receive advertising discounts from the Chronicle Herald, the Metro and C100 as well as discounts on booth space at the Real Home Show.
6. Community Investment
In addition to helping build healthy, strong communities in Nova Scotia, the CHBA NS and its members also help give back to the community by contributing to various local charities such as Habitat for Humanity, Beacon House, Adsum House, Phoenix Youth Programs, Feed Nova Scotia and the IWK through our own Homebuilders Care program.
Through Member Alerts, Product Alerts and emails, the CHBA NS keeps members up-to-date on current events and issues pertaining to the residential construction industry as well as legislative issues, members’ meetings and special events, among other features and announcements. CHBA NS members are the first to know when something happens within the industry.
8. Special Projects
From annual home shows, new home and renovation seminars, and the annual Showcase of Homes to golf tournaments, auctions and award ceremonies, the CHBA NS provides its members with ample opportunity to network with fellow members and take part in the association’s many events
When consumers see the CHBA NS logo on members’ websites, marketing materials and business cards, it provides them with peace of mind knowing their home is in the hands of industry experts who abide by the association’s code of ethics and high standards
10. Member Savings
Aside from the great benefits previously mentioned, there are also many monetary benefits that members receive in the form of discounts on various products and services. Contact the CHBA NS to find out more about the cash savings you can receive on hotels, the Atlantic Home Warranty Program and more.
Member Code Of Ethics
- Members shall comply with applicable building codes of Canada as a minimum standard for construction and shall work toward its improvement in the interests of structural sufficiency, safety and health.
- Members shall plan their sites and homes to conform to the principles of good community planning and support for the environment.
- Members shall deal justly with their employees, subcontractors and suppliers of all goods and services.
- Members shall deal honestly and fairly with their customers and stand behind the quality of their work and service commitments.
- Members shall exchange information and experience, and encourage research on materials, technical advancements and building techniques in order to provide the best value for their customers.
- Members shall avoid all conduct or practice detrimental to the house building industry, to the Association, to the good name or reputation of any of its members, or its consumers.
- Members shall commit to continuing learning through human resource policies and practices, including employment practices which treat employees as assets.
- Members shall actively promote health and safety principles.
- Members shall treat their competitors, including their property and ideas, with respect.
These responsibilities are freely and solemnly assumed as they form part of an obligation as members of the association.
Please note that all membership applications are presented to the Board of Directors for approval. Builders, renovators and subtrades are subject to specific criteria which includes:
- Three month probation period (from time of approval).
- Safety training management course (see mandatory courses listed on the application form) must be completed within six months of membership approval.
- CHBA-NS Financial Management course (3-hour course) must be completed within six months of membership approval.
- If you do not continue your membership after the first year, you will not be eligible to reapply for a two year period.
- Upon completion of the three month period, and after you have verified completion with CHBA-NS staff, you will be granted full access to membership benefits and added to the NSHBA website (nshomebuilders.ca) and are then permitted to advertise as an CHBA-NS member.